Oct 11 – 14, 2022
Link Station Hall Aomori
Asia/Tokyo timezone

Immigration information

 (Latest update: 7th Sep)

The Japanese border measures have been relaxed since 1st March 2022, and a new entry for business purposes is now allowed. As of today,

  • the VISA waiver program is not applicable,
  • all foreign nationals who wish to newly enter Japan need to apply for a visa except for those with re-entry permit,
  • application for visa shall be made by the applicant him/herself at the Japanese overseas establishments with jurisdiction over the area in which the applicant resides, and
  • the certificate for registration to the Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (ERFS) applied by QST and other documents are required for visa application.

So, please make the registration as soon as possible if you decide to travel to Japan to attend the meeting in-person. Then LOC will contact you immediately if your nationality is not Japanese in order ​​start the visa preparation. 


VISA application​

You’re expected to go to a Japanese overseas establishment (Embassies, Consulates) in your country / region to submit the visa application. Please check the nearest one from the following link:

(A new eVISA system is available now for Canadian nationals residing in Canada and US nationals residing in the US. Please check the web page below: 

https://www.evisa.mofa.go.jp/index )


Concerning the necessary documents to apply the visa, please refer to the following document and check the table in page 2:


(For Those with Nationalities Other Than China, Russia, CIS Countries, Georgia or Philippines)

You may be requested to submit the following documents (items A in the table) at the Japanese overseas establishments, although some of them may not be required depending on the country you are living and your nationality. Please check the web page of the Japanese Embassy/Consulate in your place. In many cases you don't need to submit from 4 to 6.

  1. Valid Passport
  2. Visa application form (the standard form to be provided by QST)
  3. Photo (Passport Size)
  4. Copy of the reservation of your flight tickets with entry/departure dates
  5. Letter of mission or similar letter from your institution to show the travel expenses is covered by your institution,
  6. Certificate of employment

QST will prepare some necessary documents as follows (items B in the table):

  1. Certificate for Completion of Registration issued by the ERFS (Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System)
  2. Invitation Letter
  3. Itinerary during stay in Japan
  4. List of Visa Applicants (if multiple people of your institution apply visa at once)

In many cases you don't need to submit from 2 to 4.

In order to issue the Certificate for Completion of Registration issued by the ERFS, LOC will ask some information, e.g. the passport number, the hotel name, the arrival date, etc.

Please note that there are still restrictions on a new entry for tourism purposes, so it is not possible to combine vacations in Japan before or after the meeting.


Quarantine upon the entry

Your quarantine depends on the classification of the country or region of your stay before arriving in Japan and possibly your vaccination status, so please check the following web page:



Most of major countries are categorized in ‘Blue’ (US, Canada, Italy, UK, Switzerland, Germany, France, Korea, China, etc.). If your departing country is categorized in Blue and you submit the vaccination certificate,  you will not be subject to an pre-departure test nor an on-arrival test, and no self-quarantine is required. 


Concerning the valid vaccination certificate, please see the below:


  • The certificate must be issued by a government or public institution,
  • The items must be indicated in Japanese or English, and
  • The certificate must clearly show that you have received 3 doses of any of the certified vaccines.

Note that three doses of the vaccine are required in Japan, irrespective of a history of infection with COVID.


If you are from a blue category country but cannot provide a valid vaccination certificate, you will need to have a PCR test within 72 hours of departure and submit an inspection certificate.



Invitation letter

Please contact LOC if you need an invitation letter to organize your trip.